PREPARE: The End of All Things Is Near
INTRO: God is speaking to believers about judgment on the earth in the months ahead. God wants us to prepare and get ready. We should examine our lives in light of the return of Christ. Are we prepared? Are our family and friends prepared?
I. We need to wake up.
> In January, Pastor Bruce started to hear the word “prepare.”
- We need to personally prepare.
- We need to ask the Lord what He wants us to do.
- A storm is coming; it is time to prepare like we would if we saw a thunderstorm coming.
- “Do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you” (1 Peter 4:12).
- Do not live in fear.
- If we are anxious, we need to cast our cares and our fears on Him; He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7).
- He wants us to be ready for whatever is ahead.
- We need to live in such a way that we fully trust in the Lord.
- We need to make sure our security is in Christ.
II. We need to prepare as the Body of Christ.
> We need to begin to share with others, preach a sermon with our lifestyle.
- Our lives are about preparing people for eternity.
- We have been given a spirit of power, of love, and a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7).
- We need to read and study God’s Word like never before.
- We need to love God and love one another (Matthew 22:37-39).
> We should write out our personal testimony.
- It will help us to remember when we were saved.
- We would leave our story behind to testify to others when we are called home.
- We should also write out what He has done for us recently.
> Pray and intercede for family members who are not saved.
- Pray for them in the same way that we would want them to pray for us if we were lost.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to give us an opportunity to talk to them.
- Be ready to give an answer for the hope we have, but do it with gentleness and respect (1 Peter 3:15).
III. What do we do with a message about coming judgment?
> We are to be “clear-minded and self-controlled so that we can pray” (1 Peter 4:7).
- Ask the Holy Spirit what He wants us to do with what we’ve heard.
- If a word received does not match Scripture, ignore it.
- How are we to prepare?
- What is the Holy Spirit saying to us specifically?
- The Holy Spirit talks to us; we need to learn to hear Him.
- We need to humble ourselves, be alert, and resist the devil; he is looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5: 6, 8, 9).
CONCLUSION: We need to ask the Holy Spirit to show us what to do. God is preparing us ahead of time. No matter what comes, we get to spend eternity with Jesus. But we also want to be sure that our families are ready. We can pray and ask the Holy Spirit to help us to do that with gentleness and respect and to help us to be a blessing to others.