THE LAST OF THE LAST
INTRO: How can we help our loved ones who are not saved? We can get overly concerned and caught up with things that are going on in the world. The Lord wants us to look at our priorities. We do need to be careful, but we need to go out into the world to witness to those who are lost more than ever.
> What are our motives for living?
- We tend to get on rabbit trails.
- It is easy for us to become a part of things around us.
- We may not even realize that we are getting to be more like the world than Jesus.
- The godly can be in a group of the ungodly and grow to be more like them instead of us changing them.
- We need to flee the things of the world.
> What are we to do?
- We are not to close up shop.
- We are not to be a part of the last days’ church (2 Timothy 4:3-4).
- What does the Lord want us to prepare for individually?
- What about Gateway?
- We need to rely on God and one another.
- God appointed us to be here.
- We are chosen to live here for a reason.
- We should not fear; He has given us a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7).
- He will give us the strength to get through.
- He wants us to live victoriously.
> Be Jesus with skin on; let Jesus out.
- It is not in our own strength but the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Greater is He who is in me than he who is in this world (1 John 4:4).
- We need to travail for the lost - more than just pray.
- We have a job and a calling; we are to speak the Good News.
IV. THE LAST DAYS
> The Bible talks about the last days.
- Paul describes the last days in detail.
- When we see these signs, we are at the last of the last days.
- This is the last of the last.
- On Pentecost, when the Lord poured out His Spirit, the last days began.
- It will go to the end of the church age.
- This is not the end of the world.
- There are signs that will take place – it will get ugly.
- Perilous times will come, barren of virtue but abounding with vices.
- Perilous: harsh, savage, violent, difficult, painful, hard to deal with.
> Paul said to take note of the characteristics of the last days.
- “Mark this!” (v. 1).
- He wants us to understand that it is important.
- The characteristics listed in Timothy show that we are in the last days.
- We are to expect these characteristics in people (v. 2-5).
- This is realistic, not pessimistic.
- There will be an unleashing of hell’s forces like never before.
- God will give us up to what we desire.
- The list is the world, those without the Lord.
- They are lovers of self; they are their own god.
- They are first in their lives.
- They love money; they want more, more, more!
- We are to flee from the lust for money (1 Timothy 6:9-11).
- They brag about all that they’ve done (boastful, proud, conceited).
- They believe they have accomplished things on their own.
- “Don’t think of yourself more highly than you ought” (Romans 12:3).
- Not one person is more necessary or needed than another.
- They are disobedient to parents – uncontrollable and not to be persuaded.
- They are ungrateful and without love (Colossians 3:15).
- They are unholy: profane, wicked, no regard for decency, no shame, immodest.
- When we stop being together with family and spending time with those we love, we become cold toward family virtues.
- They are traitors, willing to step on others to get ahead.
- They lie, cheat, and steal; they crush anyone in their way.
- They need no one; they love themselves.
- This is a world where good is evil and evil is good.
> They deny the power that God has for them; it’s not real on the inside.
- They may go to church but have no relationship with God.
- If we’ve been born again, there will be a difference in our lives.
- We choose to take up the cross of Christ and follow Him.
- Those who have been born into God’s family do not continue to sin; there is a change.
- We choose to turn away from ungodly behavior.
CONCLUSION: Tough times are coming, but don’t be discouraged. We will get through this with God. It will get ugly. We need to pray for those who choose the ways of the world. We have been called to tell them about the One who saved us and Who wants to save them also.