THE SPIRIT OF SONSHIP
INTRO: Imagine that a wealthy man offers to give you everything that he has, and you only have to agree to become his son or daughter. How is it that you can become a child of God? Is it just because you’ve been born? No. It is because you’ve agreed to become God’s son or daughter. You become a child of God when you allow Jesus to be Lord of your life.
I. You are His heir.
A. You receive the spirit of sonship when you accept Jesus as Lord of your life.
B. You have an obligation to not live according to your sinful nature.
C. God lavishes His love on you! (1 John 3:1 NIV)
II. The Orphan Spirit
A. God wants you to live according to the spirit and not the flesh.
B. Satan wants to challenge your identity as a member of God’s family.
1. Every temptation you face is designed to remove you from your identity as a member of God’s family.
2. The orphan spirit says you lose your sonship every time you sin.
3. The orphan spirit says you don’t have an inheritance.
C. You don’t need to go to a sinful lifestyle to meet your needs.
1. You have everything that you need.
2. The Holy Spirit will help you to live according to the Spirit.
III. Are you a son or daughter of God?
A. According to Galatians 4:1-7, that is who you are.
B. You’ve been redeemed (adopted) by the spirit of sonship.
C. By this spirit we cry, “Abba, Father!”
1. Abba means Daddy.
D. The spirit of sonship says you have an inheritance.
1. It’s a covenant between you and God--everything He has is yours and everything you have is His.
2. You have access to everything you need but not necessarily what you want.
IV. When you know who you are, you know that:
1. You have a Father.
2. You are loved.
3. You can love others, no matter how you are treated.
4. You will be heard by God when you go to Him.
5. God will separate “you” from what you do.
6. You don’t have to fear.
7. God will help you live for Him.
8. You may suffer for Christ, physically and/or spiritually.
CONCLUSION: God is our Father and we are His sons and daughters when we choose to be adopted. He helps us to hate sin. He helps us to love Him more. Out of that love, He helps us to walk in obedience. Lord, bless our earthly fathers and help them to live for You, and give them the wisdom to be godly fathers.