UNDERSTANDING THE HOLY SPIRIT, Part 2
INTRO: Last week we looked at the Holy Spirit as a divine person, with human-like characteristics. In this sermon we’ll look at God as a Spirit. We’ll discover that the Holy Spirit wants a close relationship with us. He wants to open our eyes to see and our ears to hear, that we might recognize His voice, and by faith, follow His lead.
I. God is (Holy) Spirit (John 4:24, 3:8).
A. The Holy Spirit wants us to have a closer relationship with Him.
B. The Holy Spirit is the most active of the three persons of the Trinity.
C. He wants to affect the way we think, feel, and make decisions.
1. He wants us to think the way God thinks, feel the way God feels, and make decisions that honor God.
II. We are spirit (John 3:6; Galatians 5:17).
A. We live in a body; we have a soul; but we are spirit.
1. We are made in God’s image.
B. We need to develop our spiritual eyes and ears in order to grow in the Spirit.
III. The Holy Spirit speaks to our spirit (Romans 8:16).
A. We can know and recognize the voice of the Holy Spirit.
1. He speaks in a variety of ways, not necessarily an audible voice.
2. It is important to learn what the Holy Spirit is saying to us personally.
B. If we can’t hear the Holy Spirit, it could be a listening problem.
1. Sometimes we are too busy to hear.
2. We need to have a quiet time with the Lord.
CONCLUSION: It takes faith to have a relationship with the Holy Spirit. We have to believe that God wants to speak to us, and then actually take time to listen for His voice. May we take time to slow down and find a quiet place to listen to His still, small voice. He has so much that He wants to reveal to our spirit that we might know the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in a deeper, more meaningful way!